Monday, July 11, 2016

Student designer Alexandra Gregor on standing out

TAFE QLD student designers continues to give us hope.


Let us introduce you to student designer, Alexandra Gregor from her label Alexandra James. 


Brisbane's fashion industry has taken quite the hit this year with iconic design leaders closing their doors and our Government losing faith in our annual fashion week. But all is not lost thanks to the new crop of talent giving us hope with their creative flair and fresh approach.


Recently we attended TAFE QLD's Operose Diploma Graduate Showcase and were impressed with the level of emerging talent on display. To celebrate we're interviewing the students who's name must be on your radar.


First up, let us introduce you to student designer, Alexandra Gregor from her label Alexandra James.




What was the inspiration behind your collection?


AG: The inspiration for my collection came from research I was doing about ocean pollution - it is a huge problem.


As part of the assessment criteria for the course, I had to design my own swimwear print. I always try to be sustainable with my fashion so I thought it would be interesting to turn the assessment on its head into a sort of protest piece against polyester fabrics and plastic products.


I took photos of rubbish to create the print. I wanted to come up with a way to recycle plastic bags, so I used them for knitted cover-ups. I got a really beautiful result and managed to re-purpose about 200 or so plastic bags.


What has been the biggest challenge you've faced as a fashion student?


AG: The biggest challenge I faced as a fashion student was learning balance and time management. It is very tempting to keep working on something until it is perfect, but you have to juggle a lot of different things at once and it is important to know what you can achieve in the time allocated without letting something else suffer.


What's one thing that you have learnt that you will never forget?


AG: One thing I've learnt that I will never forget is perseverance. Taking a design or collection from the initial inspiration to a finished garment is a lot of fun but it can also be quite a long process, so you have to be able to keep a consistent level of enthusiasm and focus. You have to be very determined if you want to have a spectacular garment by the end of it all.


Let us introduce you to student designer, Alexandra Gregor from her label Alexandra James.


What was it like to see your collection down a runway at the TAFE QLD, Operose Fashion Parade?


AG: It was incredible! This was the first time I'd seen any of my clothes on a runway or on a model so it was just fantastic to see how they looked and moved on a body. It was also a great experience to see how people who don't know me reacted to my designs, it was very encouraging.


What advice would you give someone wanting to study fashion design?


AG: First, it's true what they say, practice makes perfect. Second, one of the most important things I learnt was trusting in my design ideas, you do have to listen to advice if something won't work technically, but it's important to stay true to your designs. Third, time management is very important. Fourth, work hard - work very hard.


What's your dream job?


AG: Head designer for a big international fashion label. No question, I love design work.


Favourite 2016 winter trend?


AG: Honestly, I don't really follow the trends. As a designer it is important to know what is happening around you, but fashion is so versatile now and moves so quickly, following trends isn't that important to me.


Dream client to wear one of your designs?


Student designer Alexandra Gregor


AG: Of course I would love anyone to wear my designs, but my dream client would have to be Grimes - one of my favourite musicians. I don't really follow celebrities but I've been a fan of Grimes' work for a while now and I like her approach to fashion.


What's next?


AG: I'll be showing the first collection for my label 'Alexandra James' at the event, RAW in August. We also post regular updates on Facebook so people can follow our journey. I'm also going back to study my Advanced Diploma in Fashion and try to do some internships later in the year as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment