Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Fashion Designer Sarah Lamkin on Ophelia The Label

Ophelia The Label02

Originating from fictional characters in William Shakespeare's poetry, Ophelia The Label is a ethereal clothing and intimates label for women.

Jodie Hilton sat down with the designer behind the brand, Sarah Lamkin to talk about how she's inspired by old film, vintage silhouettes and story telling.

How did you and ‘Fashion’ first meet?

SL: As a child I loved drawing and designing, dressing in mum's clothes. After an intensive ballet background I found my love for vintage/costume design, then mum introduced me to sewing I was hooked.

Tell us a little about the journey from there to here.

SL: After years of ballet, I started sewing and making pieces here and there which I sold through the internet. I found my feet at Tafe, where I continued onto university and never looked back!

Tell us a little about the journey to launching Ophelia.

SL: I started my label ‘Ophelia the label’ at University (Billy Blue), I had a great response to the style of pieces I was creating, so I ended up continuing my label after I graduated. I didn’t plan on starting straight after graduating, it all just kind of happened, so I’m just going with it!

What kind of ‘girl’ is Ophelia the label?

SL: A woman! Ethereal, romantic, proud to celebrate the female form with appreciation of vintage silhouettes.

Ophelia The Label04

Tell us the idea behind your designs and what inspired it?

SL: Fabric really inspires me and influences the way I design. I think that’s why I have such a love affair with lace.

But also, just the desire to fulfil my own garment desires, I can never really find what I’m looking for in store, in today’s fashion and it made me think that other woman and men out there must also feel the same.

What did you always want to be when you were little?

SL: A member of Abba.

What designer would you most like to be like?

SL: Valentino, for love and lemons.

What else do you like to do when you’re not designing?

SL: Eat lots! Dance around to music and endless trips to the ocean.

What is the most expensive item in your current collection?

SL: The sheer lace dresses or matching sets.

Ophelia The Label03

What is the cheapest item in your current collection?

SL: Lacey halters.

What would you spend your last decorative dollar on?

SL: A crossiant.

Tell us something that most people don’t know about you!

SL: I never learnt how to ride a bike!

What’s the best thing to eat on James St?

SL: Easy! The vegie burger at Ribbs & Burgers.

Stay in the know by following Danielle Brennan and all things Ophelia The Label on Instagram or visit their Website.

Interview by Jodie Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment