Monday, February 22, 2016

Pettifleur Berenger talks embracing fashion at every age

pettifleur01


Pettifleur Berenger is the stylish property developer, company director, mother and author who has rose to fame due to her role on The Real Housewives of Melbourne. We caught up with the glamorous icon to talk all things style, confidence and embracing fashion at any age.


What do you love most about fashion?


PB:Fashion is a great way to express yourself, to have fun, and to tell the world who you are. Melbourne is my catwalk, and every day I have the opportunity to walk it in fabulous fashion. I always add a touch of class with a bit of difference and carry it with elegance to stand out. Your style should speak volumes about you, without you needing to say a word.


How do you think your style has evolved over the years?


PB:"Fashion changes my style remains. Designers make clothes, I make fashion. I recently posted a photo of a dress that I wore in 1995 and then again in 2016 - and I rocked it in both years - which proves that great fashion never goes out of style. I have always dared to try fashion that is not just your average style. As I've gotten older, I've definitely gained more confidence to push the boundaries of fashion to another level. I dress how I want, regardless of where I am going, who I am with, or what people might say.


What advice would you give women when it comes to embracing fashion at any age?


PB:I think this quote from Coco Chanel sums it up nicely: "Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.
In my words, I say go for it! As a general rule, women are too concerned about what other people think, and we don't spend enough time thinking about what we want and how we feel. Stop scrutinising every inch of your body critically, embrace it and rock it. If you feel good in something, you walk with confidence and you own it.


It's important to learn what looks good on you, and to figure out your own personal style. Don't be afraid to wear what you want, and try outfits that you think would look good only on a slimmer person - you may be very surprised to realise the looser, ill-fitting outfit is less flattering if you have a fuller figure. I still wear midriff tops, tiny shorts, and figure hugging dresses; but I wear it like a lady because I bust my butt at the gym, and I want to show off my hard work! There is no particular rule for fashion at any age. As long as you feel confident from the inside you can wear a sack and shine like a diamond!






What is your top fashion rule?


PB:I have two! First, in order to turn heads one must always be different. Second, always have a few quality go-to items in your wardrobe - a pair of tailored black pants, blazer, skirt, dress, and a coat which makes you look pencil sharp. You can accessorise these items to change the look every time, yet look on point. A bigger wardrobe with ill-fitting, cheap clothes will date and look cheap.


How does fashion impact your confidence?


PB:Fashion is an expression of yourself. I think most women get a confidence boost when they feel that they look good, and fashion is a huge part of that. Women need to be encouraged to own their fashion choices - don't listen to other people, wear what makes you feel good. There is nothing sexier than a woman who has self-confidence.


Do you have one fashion regret?


PB:Not having access to fabulous fashion when I was in my late teens and as a young adult with a hot body is probably my only regret. My brain was wired up for great fashion, but my lack of resources made it impossible. Since I've been able to access fashion, my fashion sense has no boundaries. If I love it, I will wear it, and I will own it. Im not afraid to make bold fashion choices. The other Housewives have mocked me for some of my outfit choices but I know I always look fabulous, so I own it, and I raise the bar!


You wear many different stylish hats. As a reality star from the TV series, 'The Real Housewives of Melbourne', successful property developer, fashionista and published author of 'Switch the Bitch', how do you find time to always look so fabulous?


PB:Oh, thank you! I am a big believer that a big part of looking good comes from the inside. I have a fitness regime which keeps me fit and healthy, and a healthy clean diet. I believe when you feel good on the inside, you look better on the outside. I am also fortunate to have a very good eye for style and shape. It is super important to get your proportions right, as it can make or break an outfit. The right balance of accessories is very important.






What is one item in your wardrobe that you can't live without?


PB:My Switch the Bitch necklace! Its diamonds, of course, so it goes with everything, and it's a daily reminder to put my own needs first - to switch the bitch and make sure that I look after number one.


Recently, what has been your biggest splurge?


PB:I purchased a $140,000.00 piano last year for my sons, but it was really for me. It has been my childhood dream to play the piano. I am not counting myself out on playing piano.


What's next for you?


PB:I really want to get the word out about my book, Switch the Bitch, and empower women to take control of their own emotions and their own happiness. I see so many women who let themselves, and their feelings, be controlled by other people, women who are unhappy but who don't realise that only they have the ability and power to change their situation. I want every woman out there to be switching the bitch!


For your own copy of Switch The Bitch, and to keep up with all things Pettifleur, be sure to visit pettifleur.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment