Thursday, April 21, 2016

An Extraordinary Ordinary Day with Ashley Lim

We caught up with footwear designer Ashley Lim to talk career switches, upcoming collections, and her thoughts on stilettos.


Woman smiling black and white photo


Ashley Lim is the trained architect who has fused her passion of architecture and fashion to create the effortlessly chic leather footwear label, Extraordinary Ordinary Day (EOD).




As a qualified architect, what was the turning point that inspired you to make the daunting and somewhat peculiar transition into fashion?


AL: I always wanted to work in fashion, but growing up in Seoul I was swayed by the cultural pressure to pursue a more logical choice for an artistic pursuit; one that had a clear career path and architecture offered that. I see more similarities (between architecture and fashion) rather than differences between the forms of both disciplines. The only daunting thing was running my own business, which was a completely new challenge for me.


EOD is all about the seamless combination of comfort and style. Do you feel as though your experience as an architect has enabled you to create this balance?


AL: Absolutely. Having an architecture background allows me to look carefully at design details and execute accordingly. My passion for comfort, however, comes from my experience as a woman who has worn a lifetime of shoes and has no desire to waste my feet on painful heels when I'm running around to meetings all day.


[RELATED: The accessory trends you have to try for Autumn 2016]


In your opinion, can the increasingly popular 'statement sneaker' ever replace the more traditional sky high stiletto?


AL: Statement sneakers are worn for looking trendy and being comfortable, while stilettos are used for confidence and status because they create an upright posture with an elongated look. The problem with stilettos, though, is that they are unbearably uncomfortable and negatively affect your body, particularly the spine. That's why I'm driven to offer stylish shoes that can produce that confidence and elegance, but within a comfortable design.


What is your go-to everyday shoe of choice?


AL: Definitely my Venus d'Orsay flats – the leather is so soft it's like a second skin. I also like to wear them without the ankle straps so I can take my shoes off easily. My other go-to shoes are my Ecstasy silver loafers. I love metallic silver, because it's so easy to use to make a statement with any outfit, especially black or white.


Women modeling shoes against concrete bricks


What emerging trends and new designs can we expect to see from EOD this season?


AL: We're very excited about our line of comfortable, low-heel pumps that make transitioning from home to work effortless.


Do you feel as though your Korean heritage is evident in your designs?


AL: Not really. My upbringing in Seoul was confined to strict social conventions, so it wasn't until my migration to Australia that I opened my eyes to creative possibilities and true self-expression. What did come out of my Korean heritage is my direct contact with high-end artisans in Seoul that handcraft some of the world's best shoes and leather goods.


What would you say to all the ladies out there coming home from work crippled from their uncomfortable heels?


AL: I feel your pain, and I'm here for you.


What are your goals for EOD? What's next?


AL: An inspiring retail flagship... and maybe motherhood.


To obtain your own par of Extraordinary Ordinary Designs, or to just to drool over the chic craftsmanship, be sure to check out the EOD Online Boutique and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment