Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Erin Heatherton reveals struggles of a VS Angel

Renowned for their 'healthy and fit' models, it seems Victoria's Secret have been keeping a not so healthy secret.


Erin Heatherton walks in Victoria's Secret fashion show and reveals body struggles via instagram | Wears red lingerie, blonde curls, cape, tanned body,


Former Victoria's Secret Angel Erin Heatherton has opened up about her time with the lingerie brand and what made her strut away from their elaborate runways.


After gracing our screens with her appearances in the Victoria's Secret fashion shows and campaigns from 2008, Erin shocked fans with her unexpected exit in 2013 after being told she had to lose weight for her last two shows.


Positive body image is something we here at Fashion Weekly absolutely encourage, and as much as we love Victoria's Secret, we could not be more disappointed with their lack of progress as an icon in the fashion industry.


Erin changed her whole training and dietary plan, working out twice a day and wondering if she should even bother eating.


“I got to a point where one night I got home from a workout and remember staring at my food and thinking maybe I should just not eat” she told Time Magazine's website, Motto.


When it came time for the 2013 annual show the 27-year-old ex lover of Leonardo Di Capro said she felt as though her body was resisting her. The pressure of having to lose weight became so much that she found herself battling with depression.


"I was really depressed because I was working so hard and I felt like my body was resisting me”


Erin has taken to social media in a heartfelt post sharing her own struggle with body image and the thought of 'failure.'






“I realised I couldn't go out into the world- parading my body and myself in front of all these women who look up to me- and tell them that this is easy and simple and everyone can do this.”


Hoping to help other models in the industry overcome their battles with depression, Erin told Motto“I'm willing to sacrifice my pride, in a sense, and my privacy because I know that if I don't speak about it, I could be withholding information that would really help women.”


Since leaving behind the star studded scene of Victoria's Secret, Erin is still a highly regarded and desired model in the industry, making regular appearances in Sports Illustrated and working with the likes of Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino and Versace.


Congratulations Erin on being such an inspiring role model, for putting your health first and not giving up on your career. The world needs more #GIRLBOSSES like you!


Words: Taylah Scanlon

No comments:

Post a Comment