Thursday, March 10, 2016

Nikki Phillips talks AW16 trends from Westfield Carindale

NikkiPhillips02


To celebrate the new season and to launch the Autumn Winter 2016 collections, Westfield Carindale hosted a VIP dinner under the cosmos with stylist, ambassador and influencer, Nikki Phillips.


Guests were treated to a scrumptious, three-course dinner, exquisite cocktails and an unexpected fashion show.


During the fashion affair, we caught up with Nikki Phillips to hear about her predictions for the season ahead.




Can you tell us about your involvement with tonight's event at Westfield Carindale?


NP: I helped style three key trends that we are seeing coming through this autumn winter. The prominent trends are metallic, minimalistic and bohemian winter.


For the past week I've been styling those looks and trying to find key pieces that can incorporate different price ranges and different brands.


This season it's easy to go from your General Pants to Glassons to even your more premium brands from David Jones and MYER.


WestfieldCarAW1601


What is your favourite trend this season?


NP: The minimalistic trend; I've always been that person that doesn't like to accessorise too much. Generally ... I'll pull a dress and I won't wear a lot of jewellery. I love keeping everything minimal and for me, that works. It's crisp, clean and chic.


Who would be your favourite retailer?


NP: That's a hard one because there are so many and in Australia we are spoilt for choice. So, to pick one would be hard. When you look at Westfield Carindale there are so many incredible options and brands.


What three pieces should every woman have in her wardrobe?


NP: Coming into autumn winter every woman should own a trench or coat, whether that's in a beautiful beige, or a grey.


I would also definitely say knee high boots, whether that's in a beautiful suede or peep toe, flat or heel.


And lastly, I would have to say, a crip, white-shirt dress. All three go together very well, and all three are multi functional and tran-seasonal.


WestfieldCarAW1604


I know you said you're not big on accessories, but what would you say is the 'it' accessory for the season?


NP: For me, a hat. I love hats, I’m really into beautiful felt hats, fedoras and straw hats.


What will be the most prominent colour of the season?


NP: A beautiful rich red is coming through, and I love it.


Would you say that Brisbane is an on-trend city?


NP: Absolutely!


Do we have a particular style?


NP: I think Brisbane has a style, but it's better suited for warmer weather. You have a very cool, collective and crisp style. Brisbane does a summer look in winter really well.


WestfieldCarAW1603


You're a very busy women and you wear many hats. How do you maintain your schedule, stay on top of things and find balance?


NP: Well, his name's Benji, and he's my manager. (she laughs) Without him I would be like a headless chicken. I'm very fortunate to have him - he's amazing.


NP: I love my job, I don’t think many people can say they are never in the same place once, no day has a normal regime. I get to meet so many incredible people, work with incredible brands and I’m always learning and I am always inspired.


What advice would you give women who are still discovering their personal style?


NP: I would suggest not looking at a trend, but dissecting it. Take pieces from that trend and incorporate it into their individual style. No one knows their body better than themselves. They know which parts they want to hide and they know which parts they want to emphasise.


If you haven't yet figured out your style, then just play with fashion. Have fun with it, that's what fashion's about - being experimental.


WestfieldCarAW1602


And what is next for you?


NP: Well, I'm in the middle of racing season, which feels like it never stops. I host Fashions on the Field, so I'm of course travelling to continue with the national tour.


And, I'm back and forwards to Melbourne where I'm doing some exciting work with L'Oreal Paris - which is a secret and I can't talk too much about that. But it's exciting!


I'm also enjoying working with Westfield. My clients want to do styling sessions and I do a lot of talking in the centres. I love meeting people that are new to fashion and are scared of trends. I enjoy showing them ways to be bolder.


Westfield Australia has unveiled the 'Own Your Story' campaign and has announced their new style ambassadors. To find out more click here.


Follow Nikki Phillips by visiting her blog, Facebook and Instagram.


Photography: Oliver Black

No comments:

Post a Comment