Thursday, November 5, 2015

Rachel Castle's Sportsgirl collaboration is perfect for bedtime

Rachel Castle for Sportsgirl

Finding the perfect sleepwear is just as important, and personal, as shopping for your everyday style. That is why we are excited that Sydney-based artist, Rachel Castle, has collaborated with Sportsgirl to create a playful capsule sleepwear collection that we would be caught dead in. We caught up with the artist to talk about how the collaboration came about and her sleep essentials.

Was there a significant moment that made you want to become an artist?

RC: It was really a very organic process, more a need to make ‘things', rather than to be an artist. Given I couldn’t make clothes; I started messing around embroidering fabrics with felt and screen printing on paper. I felt an overwhelming urge to put hand to cloth or paper, never really thinking much about where it would lead to, just making bits and bobs that I personally liked the look and feel of.

How did your collaboration with Sportsgirl come about?

RC: I grew up in a very small country town called Sale in East Gippsland. My whole life as a teenager revolved around my mother taking me to Melbourne twice a year to buy me things, anything, from Sportsgirl. It was THE iconic teenage brand for me, all those colours in the logo, my Sportsgirl branded t-shirt, it was everything. Sportsgirl approached us to do some designs and of course, it was a natural decision to collaborate!

A photo posted by @sportsgirl on

Where did you find your inspiration for creating sleepwear?

RC: We’ve been designing and producing our signature bedlinen range for nearly a decade now. We think a lot about sleep and bedding and so the fit was perfect. I loves the playfulness of sleepwear, it can be as fun or beautiful as you like. I also have teenage children, including a sixteen year old daughter who is more concerned about what she looks like before she goes to bed than any other time of the day, she loves her pyjamas. When designing the collection I thought about what I would wear to bed and what my daughter would wear to bed. There wasn’t a lot of difference between the two!

What are your top tips to having an amazing sleep?

RC: Watching a full episode of either Game of Thrones or Homeland with my headphones on under the covers. The experts say watching TV before bed is bad for you but it definitely works for me. It’s my way of relaxing after a long day in the studio.

RachelCastle03

What are your summer nightwear essentials?

RC: For me, you can be more adventurous and playful with nightwear. My day-time style is generally on the simplistic side, jeans and t-shirt typically, so night time is really about having a bit of fun. It allows me to wear things that I like the look and feel of - just because. The Rachel Castle for Sportsgirl collection has something for everyone, my picks are a playsuit, and a kimono for those lazy mornings.

Sleepwear inspired fashion is a major trend at the moment. Have you ever worn pyjamas as outerwear before?

RC: Occasionally, only to grab my morning coffee! However, the styles in the Rachel Castle for Sportsgirl collection are based off current fashion trends (playsuits, crop tees, and tapered shorts), so if you want they are easily transferrable from night to day. Personally, I’ll be wearing the kimono all summer long – perfect with a pair of jeans.

What’s next?

RC: At the moment we’re preparing for the mad online Christmas rush! Plus there’s painting, print making, sewing, and designing for a new bedlinden collection for February 2016.

Filled with bright colours and playful prints, the Rachel Castle for Sportsgirl collection is on trend enough for day wear. Be sure to shop in store or online now to have the most stylish and enviably comfortable sleepwear this summer.

Finding the perfect sleepwear is just as important as shopping for your everyday style.

No comments:

Post a Comment